Solving problems with graphs

I saw this question on Quora: A teacher assigns each of her 18 students a different integer from 1 through 18. The teacher forms pairs of study partners by using the rule that the sum of the pair of numbers is a perfect square. Assuming the 9 pairs of students follow this rule, the student...

Continue Reading

Learning R through a mini game part 3

This is my third post on learning R through the BetaBit package, which contains three mini games for learning R. I wrote about the first game, called proton, late last year and the second game, called frequon, a week and a half ago. The third game is called regression and it's much more statistical than...

Continue Reading

Learning R through a mini game

Just last night I found this educational mini game written in R and decided to have a go at it: This was a fairly fun #Rstats game: https://t.co/0zGCQqCxvw (Only after brute-forcing it, I realised I didn't have to.) — Dave Tang (@davetang31) December 5, 2015 I completed it but as I alluded to in my...

Continue Reading

Wordcloud of PubMed searches

At the start of this year I created a Twitter account that automatically tweets out papers related to transcriptomes, i.e. a Twitter literature bot. This idea isn't new and there are over 200 Twitter literature bots. However, I wrote my Twitter bot using R (and using the RISmed package to search PubMed for papers) and...

Continue Reading

Getting started with AWS Support (Basic)

Several years ago I learned that one could sign up to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) for free. This sign up allows you to test many of their web services for free, for a year, as long as your usage is within the AWS Free Tier. To sign up to the AWS Support (Basic), you...

Continue Reading

Thesis cover art

I was recommended to have some sort of cover art on my thesis, so I decided to make my cover using the awesome Gviz package. Below is all the code for how I generated my thesis cover art. Suggestions and comments most welcome!

Continue Reading

Transcriptome feed using R

I've always wanted to create a transcriptome feed on Twitter, posting the results of daily PubMed searches. Well today I finally got around to it. Firstly, I made a new Twitter account; annoyingly all the Twitter handles I wanted were taken by inactive users. I decided to go with @transcriptomes. Next, I made a new...

Continue Reading