Managing papers

Update: 2015 August 19th: I discovered the "Retrieve Metadata from PDF" feature in Zotero that can retrieve all the metadata from a PDF and adds all the relevant information. (This doesn't work for all PDFs but for the majority it works. Note that if you perform too many queries, Google Scholar will restrict you from performing further searches.)

Since last year, I have been managing papers using Zotero following a recommendation from Casey (thanks again!):

Continue reading

Transcriptome feed using R

I've always wanted to create a transcriptome feed on Twitter, posting the results of daily PubMed searches. Well today I finally got around to it. Firstly, I made a new Twitter account; annoyingly all the Twitter handles I wanted were taken by inactive users. I decided to go with @transcriptomes. Next, I made a new Twitter application that's associated with my new Twitter account (I set permissions to "Read, Write and Access direct messages"), and I set it up so that I could use twitteR to communicate with this app. For this post, I'm using OS X 10.10.1 on a MacBook Air.

Continue reading

Back to the basics

As the first post of this year, I'd like to wish everyone a Happy New Year. 2014 was a year where I focused much more on reading papers, hence the lack of posts on this blog (for those interested in what I have been reading, you can check out my incomplete notes on my second wiki). In addition, I thought now would be a good time to share my 2014 Jetpack annual report for this blog:

annual_reportFor those who are really keen, here's the full report.

Continue reading